Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hunger Striking with an end in sight?

When one applies for planning permission in this country (when an individual without masses of money, I mean), they may ask a politician to put in a good word. Last year I managed to gain a meeting with a planner to discuss an application I submitted with my wife. She also asked some local politicians for some help but after the meeting with the planner we were assured all was ok. Imagine our surprise then, when some months later, the two local eejits came back and said they had dropped a few kind words for us and we would be successful. After we already were. After I had talked to a planner who hadn't even been approached at that stage anyway.

My point is that politicians often come out to speak about issues or talk of topics when they know they're on the way to being solved.
A few decent politicians came out yesterday along with Ken Loache to ask Shell to move the Solitaire along so that Maura Harrington might be allowed come off her hunger strike.
Therefore, I would imagine that the ship will move in the next few days and some less noble politician will come out and claim responsibility.
With any luck it will move but please do not believe any politicians from the main parties other than current supporters of Shell To Sea when they say they had an input.

No comments: